The Occupational License Tax Ordinance allows for deductions from gross income only in specific cases:
- An exclusion is allowed for the price paid for gasoline and motor fuels or lubricating oils that equal the excise tax levied by federal and state statutes.
- A deduction for undertakers and funeral directors who collect payments on behalf of other undertakers and funeral directors.
- Gross receipts of advertising agencies shall not include funds used to purchase media time/space on behalf of clients.
- Retailers that hold valid Class A or Class B wine and liquor permits shall be entitled to a 20% deduction of gross sales and receipts in determining the amount of taxable gross income.
- Professionals are allowed to deduct fees paid to other licensed professionals.
- A deduction for commission brokers that purchase stocks (the deduction is 40% of purchases) or commodities (the deduction is 55% of purchases) on exchanges located outside the state of Louisiana.
- A 2/3 deduction from gross sales is allowed for nursing homes.