Are retirement benefits available if I get disabled?

Yes. If the disability is incurred on the job, you may qualify for a minimum 50% Service Connected Disability Retirement Benefit offset by any Workers’ Compensation benefits for the same disabling injury or illness. If the disability is not work related, you must have a minimum of 10 years of creditable service to pursue an Ordinary Disability Retirement Benefit. An Ordinary Disability Retirement Benefit also begins at 50% of the member’s average compensation. For further information, contact us at 225-389-3272.

Show All Answers

1. What are the Basic requirements for retirement or DROP Eligibility in the City Parish Employee's Retirement System (CPERS)?
2. When is a CPERS member considered vested?
3. What types of service are recognized as Creditable Service?
4. If I worked for one of the CPERS employers in the past, but quit and received a refund of retirement contributions, can I receive credit for that period of service?
5. Are retirement benefits available if I get disabled?
6. What is the DROP?
7. What are the requirements for entry into the DROP?
8. Am I required to participate in the DROP?
9. Are there Survivor Benefits available?