Baton Rouge, La. — May 17, 2021 — Mayor-President Sharon Weston Broome today announced the first ever TEDx event in North Baton Rouge. TEDxScotlandville will be one of only 3 Tedx events ever organized in the state of Louisiana.
The full-day event features more than a dozen speakers — spanning a wide variety of topics and industries — with the mission to share impactful ideas that inspire action.
TEDxScotlandville's 2021 theme is “It takes a Nation of Millions to Hold us Back.”
“It’s exciting for our community to host this world-renowned speaking series right here in historic Scotlandville. Our community has much to contribute to the conversation about overcoming challenges and working towards shared goals,” said Mayor Broome.
“With the recent pandemic, to daily struggles, this theme represents overcoming difficulties, successes, and community empowerment,” said TEDxScotlandville organizer Queen Muhammad Ali.
Speakers range from local home-grown talent to national influencers and contributors which include:
- Sharon Weston Broome (Mayor-President Baton Rouge)
- Wise Intelligent (Hip Hop Pioneer)
- Derrick Warren (Dean at Southern University)
- Chauna Banks (District 2 Councilwoman)
- Louis Ali (Land Literacy Activist)
- Myra Richardson (Activist/Serial Entrepreneur)
- Denver Terrance (Architect)
- Cornelius Roy (Vegan Restaurateur)
- Claude Whitfield (Music Educator)
- Maya B. Galathe (Racial Trauma Specialist)
- Yvonne Bey (Biologist/Researcher)
- Byron Washington (Historical/Cultural Advocate)
- Pat Leduff (President Scotlandville CDC & CADAV)
- Steve Kader (Change Agent)
Some of the Partners include:
- The City of Baton Rouge
- NBRNow Blue Ribbon Commission
- Red Torch Consulting
- Vegan Friendly Foods
Tickets for TEDxScotlandville are free but very limited and go live at noon today at tedxscotlandville.com. The event will take place May 22, 2021 at the BREC Greenwood Community Park Water Front Theatre located at 13350 La. 19, Baton Rouge, LA 70714. Doors open at 10:00 a.m. for registration. Event starts promptly at 11:00 a.m.
TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. TEDxScotlandville, where x = independently organized TED event. At TEDxScotlandville, TEDTalks video and live speakers will combine to spark deep discussion and connection. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized.