Baton Rouge, La. – July 28, 2020 – Mayor-President Sharon Weston Broome announced Tuesday her intention to extend the mask order for East Baton Rouge Parish. Once the extended order is signed, it will stay in effect until the parish enters Phase 3 of reopening.
“We have seen positive results since my executive order went into effect at the beginning of July; however, we still have a long way to go to protect our economy and residents,” said Mayor Broome. “Our positivity rate of those people taking COVID-19 tests has dropped since the order went into effect, but hospitalizations and new cases have risen in general.”
The rise in cases is likely due, in part, to the federal surge testing initiative based in Baton Rouge. So far about 45,000 people have been tested throughout the region since early July.
Face coverings play an important role in slowing the spread of the coronavirus. The mask order has been largely endorsed by the business and healthcare communities. According to a survey commissioned by the Speaker of the Louisiana House of Representatives in mid-July, 76% of respondents said they support a mask mandate.