News Flash

Mayor's Press Releases

Posted on: June 13, 2019

EBRP Damage Assessments Due Monday, June 17

BATON ROUGE, LA — June 13, 2019 — Today, Mayor-President Sharon Weston Broome is urging all East Baton Rouge Parish residents who experienced property damage as a result of excessive rainfall, heavy wind, and flooding on Wednesday, June 5, through Thursday, June 6, to submit damage assessment forms before the deadline on Monday, June 17.

As of today, the City-Parish has received 213 damage assessments from citizens and businesses in East Baton Rouge Parish.

Residents may report any weather-related damages to their property via Individuals in need of computer access may visit any library in East Baton Rouge Parish to complete the form. Additionally, hard copies are available at local libraries across the parish. Any citizen unable to access either the online or hard copy forms can call the City-Parish at 225-389-2855 for assistance in filling out the application.

Damage Assessment Tips

  • Insured Property
    • Remember: Flooding generally is not covered under homeowners’ policies. Flood insurance is a separate policy offered through the National Flood Insurance Protection Program (NFIP) or through private insurers.
    • Notify your insurer to start the claims process.
    • Document the damage by taking pictures of your property and the contents.
    • Coordinate with your insurance adjuster in filing a Proof of Loss with your insurance company within 60 days of the flood.
  • Uninsured Property
    • Document the damage by taking pictures of your property and the contents.
    • If your property is flood damaged and you do not have flood insurance, help may be available from the federal government through small grants and larger low-cost loans.
  • Renters
    • If you have renter’s insurance, storm damage is covered.
      • Your personal property damaged by the storm will be covered according to your policies limits.
      • You will have to pay a deductible before your losses will be paid out.
    • If you are unable to occupy your rented house or apartment due to storm damage, your renters insurance coverage may help pay for additional costs you incur, such as hotel bills.
  • Vehicles
    • Notify your insurer to start the claims process.
    • If you only have liability coverage, it is possible that you will not be covered for any flood damage to your vehicle.
    • Keep in mind you may have to pay a deductible.
    • If your vehicle is declared a total loss because of flooding, you cannot buy it back.
      • Louisiana law states that the insurance company has to send the certificate of title to the Office of Motor Vehicles along with the application for a Certificate of Destruction.

 For additional tips on claiming damage please visit the Louisiana Department of Insurance’s website at: or by phone at (225) 342-5900.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Mayor's Press Releases


Posted on: August 19, 2019

Tropical Storm Barry Updates

Posted on: July 14, 2019

Invest 92L Preparations

Posted on: July 9, 2019

Gulf Tropical Disturbance Update

Posted on: July 8, 2019


Posted on: May 30, 2019


Posted on: April 24, 2019


Posted on: March 27, 2019

MOHSEP Monitoring Rising Mississippi River

Posted on: February 28, 2019


Posted on: February 4, 2019

Mayor Broome Announces SKYWARN Training

Posted on: December 4, 2018

Essay Contest for Local Middle Schoolers

Posted on: September 11, 2018

Mayor Broome Creates Blight Strike Team

Posted on: February 16, 2018

Metro Council Approves 2018 Budget

Posted on: December 12, 2017