BATON ROUGE, LA — May 31, 2019 — The 2019 Atlantic hurricane season officially begins on June 1, 2019, lasting through November 30, 2019. According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the Climate Prediction Center is forecasting a “near-normal” 2019 Atlantic Hurricane Season.
Mayor-President Sharon Weston Broome and the Mayor’s Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness (MOHSEP) urge the residents of East Baton Rouge Parish to plan ahead for the potential threat of hurricanes. Throughout the 2019 Atlantic Hurricane Season, Mayor Broome advises East Baton Rouge Parish citizens to, “Be Red Stick Ready by having a plan that will keep you and your family safe from any severe weather that may affect our area, stay informed, build a disaster supply kit, and use the Buddy System™.”
2019 Hurricane Preparedness Tips:
- Make a Family Communication Plan at www.brla.gov/DocumentCenter/View/5697/Family-Emergency-Communication-Plan?bidId=
- Restock your emergency supply kit with the necessary items.
- Make sure your home is prepared.
- Trim or remove damaged trees and limbs.
- Secure and clear all gutters.
- Fuel your vehicles, generators, and gas cans. Consider purchasing a portable generator.
- Use the BuddySystem™ to check on your neighbors, friends and family.
- Check your insurance coverage.
- Visit www.redstickready.com for more preparedness tips.
For more information contact MOHSEP at (225) 389-2100, follow @RedStickReady on Facebook and Twitter, and download the Red Stick Ready mobile application — find it free on Apple and Android devices by searching "Red Stick Ready".