- Fire Department
- BRFD Employment
The Baton Rouge Fire Department was started in 1825 under the name of the Baton Rouge Bucket Company. Since that year, the Baton Rouge Fire Department has grown into one of the leaders in the fire service industry. We were the first in the nation to achieve a Class 1 Rating and the only fire department to retain this rating for over 15 years. The Baton Rouge Fire Department offers many excellent employment opportunities to qualified individuals on a non-discriminatory basis.
The starting salary is currently $33,207.30 annually. Once a firefighter has completed one year of service and obtained EMT certification, firefighters also receive an additional $6,000 annually from the State of Louisiana, which increases firefighter salary to $40,204.80.
- Applicants will need to apply for the firefighter exam at the Office of State Examiner site.
- Once an applicant receives a valid test score from the State Examiner, the applicant MUST complete the BRFD application. The application, along with all required documents, can be dropped off at BRFD headquarters, emailed, or mailed to the following address:
Baton Rouge Fire Applicants
8011 Merle Gustafson Drive
Baton Rouge, LA 70807
- Pass Wonderlic Cognitive Ability Test.
- Complete the 11-event physical ability test in the allotted time.
- Interviews of applicants are conducted, and prospective firefighters are hired.
- Firefighter candidates receive Firefighter I and Hazardous Materials Awareness IFSAC National Certifications after the training academy.
- Probational Firefighters are then placed on the front line under the supervision of Captains for an evaluation of their abilities.
- A Firefighter candidate is certified as a Baton Rouge Firefighter after obtaining EMT Certification, completing the Training Academy, and completing the supervised probationary period.
Minimum Qualifications for Firefighters
- Citizen of the United States
- High school diploma or GED
- Pass Civil Service Exam
- Pass Wonderlic Cognitive Ability Test
- Pass medical exam
- Pass MMPI2 (Personality Test)
- Pass physical ability test
- Pass illegal substance test (drug screening)
- Pass criminal background check
- Fire science degree
- Emergency medical technician
- College credits
- First aid * first response
- Firefighting experience
- Positive work record
- East Baton Rouge Parish resident
For further information about Baton Rouge Fire Department employment opportunities, please call 225-354-1400.