We Now Accept Applications on a Continuous Basis!
The Baton Rouge Fire Department was started in 1825, under the name of the Baton Rouge Bucket Company. Since that year the Baton Rouge Fire Department has grown into one of the leaders in the fire service industry. We were the first in the nation to achieve a Class 1 Rating and the only fire department to retain this rating for over 15 years. The Baton Rouge Fire Department offers many excellent employment opportunities to qualified individuals on a non-discriminatory basis.
The starting salary is currently $31,626 annually. Once a firefighter has completed one year of service and obtained EMT certification, firefighters also receive an additional $6,000 annually from the State of Louisiana, which increases firefighter salary to $37,626.
Applicants will need:
- A signed and completed application (PDF)
- A signed and completed application (doc)
- A copy of your Birth Certificate
- A copy of your Driver's License
- A copy of High School diploma or equivalent
* If you have ever served in the military, you will need a copy of your DD-214.
Minimum Qualifications for Firefighters
- Citizen of United States
- High school diploma or GED
- Pass Civil Service Exam
- Pass Test for Adult Basic Education (TABE)
- Pass medical exam and psychological screening
- Pass physical ability test
- Pass illegal substance test (drug screening)
- Possess no criminal record
- Fire science degree
- Emergency medical technician
- College credits
- First aid * first response
- Firefighting experience
- Positive work record
- East Baton Rouge Parish resident
- Obtain application (PDF) from Fire and Police Civil Service Office located at 1755 Florida Boulevard.
- Take and pass Firefighter’s Civil Service Entrance Exam administered by Office of the State Examiner.
- Pass TABE test with minimum level of 12th grade in English and 10th grade in Mathematics.
- Complete 11-event physical ability test in the allotted time.
- Interviews of applicants are conducted and prospective firefighters are hired.
- Firefighter candidates receive Firefighter I and Hazardous Materials Awareness IFSAC National Certifications at the completion of training academy.
- Probational Firefighters are then placed on the front line under supervision of Captains for an evaluation of their abilities.
- A Firefighter candidate is certified as a Baton Rouge Firefighter after obtaining EMT Certification, completing the Training Academy and successfully completing the supervised probationary period.
Please mail or deliver applications (PDF) to:
Municipal Fire & Police Civil Service Board
1755 Florida Street
Baton Rouge, LA 70802
For further information about Baton Rouge Fire Department employment opportunities, please call 225-354-1400, or the Fire and Police Civil Service Office at 225-389-5449.