The Baton Rouge Fire Department was started in 1825, under the name of the Baton Rouge Bucket Company. Since that year the Baton Rouge Fire Department has grown into one of the leaders in the fire service industry. We were the first in the nation to achieve a Class 1 Rating and the only fire department to retain this rating for over 15 years. The Baton Rouge Fire Department offers many excellent employment opportunities to qualified individuals on a non-discriminatory basis.
The starting salary is currently $31,626 annually. Once a firefighter has completed one year of service and obtained EMT certification, firefighters also receive an additional $6,000 annually from the State of Louisiana, which increases firefighter salary to $37,626.
Baton Rouge Fire Applicants
8011 Merle Gustafson Drive
Baton Rouge, LA 70807
Minimum Qualifications for Firefighters
- Citizen of United States
- High school diploma or GED
- Pass Civil Service Exam
- Pass Wonderlic Cognitive Ability Test
- Pass medical exam
- Pass MMPI2 (Personality Test)
- Pass physical ability test
- Pass illegal substance test (drug screening)
- Pass criminal background check
- Fire science degree
- Emergency medical technician
- College credits
- First aid * first response
- Firefighting experience
- Positive work record
- East Baton Rouge Parish resident
For further information about Baton Rouge Fire Department employment opportunities, please call 225-354-1400.