Building Relocation

No utilities will be connected until the required procedure and permits have been issued, inspected, and finaled-out. Applicant must call for inspections when ready.

Relocated Home 

Residential unit that has been moved from one location to another location. All utilities need to be connected before occupying the residence. Permits and inspections are required.

Ordinances Related to Moving Buildings

According to the Baton Rouge City-Parish Zoning Ordinance: No person shall move any building, except those regulated by Title 47 of the revised statutes, over, along or across any public way, street or alley without first obtaining a permit from the building official.

Inspections & Permit Issuing

Permits shall be issued only to licensed building movers. The building official or his designated representative shall inspect all buildings prior to moving same into or within the City-Parish. The building official may refuse to issue a permit for the moving of any building which, in his opinion, is likely to cause serious bodily injury or harm to any person, or serious property damage to any public streets or improvements, or if the cost of repairs to the building in order to comply with the building plumbing, electrical, and heating and air conditioning codes of the City-Parish exceeds 50 percent of the then physical value of the building.

No permit will be issued to move a building that has been condemned by the Council to be relocated to another site within the City-Parish. A licensed building mover is required to apply for the relocation permit, stating the route to be followed during the move. This must be approved by all affected agencies, and emergency rescue. If the relocation is to remain within this parish, the building mover must apply for the foundation permit. Both permits will be issued together for the relocation of the residence.