​​Appeals to the Board of Appeals may be taken by any person aggrieved or by any officer, department, board, or bureau of the City of Baton Rouge and the Parish of East Baton Rouge affected by any decision of the Building Official. Such appeal shall be taken within a reasonable time, as provided by the rules of the Board, by filing with the officer from whom the appeal is taken and with the Board of Appeal a notice of appeal specifying the grounds thereof. 

The Powers of the Board shall be to Interpret the Ordinance

To hear and decide appeals where it is alleged there is an error in any order, requirement, decision, or determination made by the Building Official in the enforcement of this ordinance. 

To interpret the provisions of this ordinance in such a way as to carry out the intent and purpose of the plan, as shown upon the map fixing the several districts accompanying and made a part of this ordinance where the street layout on the ground varies from the street layout as shown on the map aforesaid. 

Board of Adjustments

The Board of Adjustments has the authority to vary some requirements of the Unified Development Code where topographic or other extraordinary conditions specific to the property in question would make strict application of the regulations impractical or result in a hardship preventing reasonable use of the property and no other means of obtaining relief is provided in the UDC. Variances shall only be granted for the purposes granted in Chapter 2, Section 2.3.3 of the UDC.

To Request a Variance of the Zoning Ordinance  

A detailed plot or site plan on letter or legal size paper must be submitted with the application. The plot plan shall include a detailed location of all servitudes, easements and all structures on the property.  If the Department of Development approves the application, the request will go before the Board of Adjustment. If approved by the Board, a Hold Harmless and Indemnity Agreement, holding the City-Parish and the Board of Adjustment free and harmless of liability due to the granting of the variance, is to be filed and recorded with the Clerk of Court.  The owner is required to sign the Hold Harmless and Indemnity Agreement. A certified copy with recording data is to be furnished to the Inspection Division before the permit will be issued.  The board meetings are held monthly at:  

Governmental Building, 222 St. Louis Street, Council Chambers, Room 348 @ 3:30 p.m.  

Either the Owner, Contractor or Applicant must attend the meeting to present their case. Application must be made no later than twelve days before the scheduled meeting, and sign posted on site seven days prior to meeting. A FEE of $45 is paid at the time of application.

For more information, please contact the Permit and Inspections Office at 225-389-3226.