Condemnation liens are placed upon property when the Metro Council has issued a condemnation order and the City has demolished dangerous and/or dilapidated structures. The condemnation process begins with Neighborhood Improvement. Please visit the Code Enforcement page if you have a question and the lien process is not complete. Once a lien has been procured, the file and the lien are sent to Collections to record and collect.
If you are interested in seeking information about a lien payoff or cancellation documents, please contact our office at 225-389-3114 and ask to speak to a collections employee. We are happy to provide citizens with lien payoff information in writing. For legal information on condemnations, please see La. R.S 33:1236.28 and City Parish Ordinance 12:520, 521, 525, and 525.1.
- What action should I take once the lien is paid off?
- How much does it cost to record the cancellation documents?
- Where is the East Baton Rouge Clerk of Court located?
- If the property is sold, does the lien follow the property?
- What happens if I do not pay off the lien?
- If I have further questions, whom do I contact?