Significant Industrial User
Significant industrial User (SIU)
- (1) An industrial user subject to categorical pretreatment standards
- (2) An industrial user that:
- Discharges an average of twenty-five thousand (25,000) Gallons per Day (GPD) or more of process wastewater to the publicly owned treatment works (POTW) (excluding sanitary, noncontact cooling, and boiler blowdown wastewater)
- Contributes a process waste stream which makes up five (5)% or more of the average dry weather hydraulic or organic capacity of the POTW treatment plant
- Is designated as such by City-Parish on the basis that it has a reasonable potential for adversely affecting the POTW's operation or for violating any pretreatment standard or requirement
- The City-Parish may opt to determine that an industrial user subject to categorical pretreatment standards is a non-significant categorical industrial user rather than a significant industrial user on a finding that the industrial user never discharges more than one hundred (100) gallons per day of total categorical wastewater (excluding sanitary, non-contact cooling, and boiler blowdown wastewater, unless specifically included in the pretreatment standard) and the following conditions are met:
- The industrial user, prior to C-P finding, has consistently complied with all applicable categorical pretreatment standards and requirements.
- The industrial user annually submits the certification statement required in 40 CFR 403.12(q), LAC 33:IX.6123.Q and Ordinance Section 2.276, together with any additional information necessary to support the certification statement.
- The industrial user never discharges any untreated concentrated wastewater. Upon a finding that a user meeting the criteria in subsection (2) of this part has no reasonable potential for adversely affecting the POTW's operation or for violating any pretreatment standard or requirement, the city may at any time, on its own initiative or in response to a petition received from an industrial user, and in accordance with procedures in 40 CFR 403.8(f)(6) and LAC 33:IX.6115.F.6, determine that such user should not be considered a significant industrial user. SIUs are further classified as Categorical Industrial Users (CIU) if they are subject to federal discharge limitations developed by the EPA. CIUs are also subject to the local limits. All other SIUs are classified as Non-Categorical SIUs and are subject only to the local sanitary sewer discharge limits.
SIU Permits are obtained by submitting an application to the Environmental Division. The Environmental Division will evaluate the permit application and issue a three-year SIU permit. A permit fee of $3,000 will be assessed though billings with the Baton Rouge Water Company.