To locate your garbage and bulky trash collection schedule, simply visit our easy-to-use My Government Services portal, enter your address, and click the magnifying glass/search button.
Garbage collection service begins at 5 a.m. on an area’s scheduled days for residents across East Baton Rouge Parish, excluding the cities of Baker and Zachary, whose residents are serviced by garbage contractors through those respective cities.
To ensure your garbage is collected, carts should be set at the curb the night before. The cart lid must be closed; carts with lids propped open will not be serviced. Old “personal” type garbage cans are no longer serviced by the garbage collection contractor.
Household garbage must be placed in a City-Parish owned cart, which has the City-Parish seal and serial number. Actual pick-up times may vary depending on routes, weather, traffic, etc. The contract service runs until 8 p.m., so residents should be aware that actual pick-up time could be as late as 8 p.m. Residents will be notified of any change in frequency or day of pick-up.
Cart contents will only be collected for garbage. Bulky trash, such as old furniture, bagged yard waste, woody waste, mattresses, lumber, etc., should be placed in the unbundled trash pile for once-weekly collection. Old, empty garbage cans may be set out at the curb for disposal. Mark the can clearly with a large “X” and place it out with your trash for weekly collection.
ReSIDENTIAL CURBSIDE SERVICES
Garbage carts must be in place by 5 a.m. on the scheduled service day. It is not considered a missed pickup if the cart is not in place by 5 a.m. View the curbside set out guide (PDF). Other curbside service guidelines include:
- Garbage Cart is collected twice weekly. Bagged household garbage including food waste and trash will be collected.
- Bulky Trash, Yard and Wood Waste, Leaves and Grass will be collected once weekly. Only resident-generated waste will be picked up. Place these types of waste next to each other but not mixed together.
- Bulky Trash: Items too bulky or heavy to fit in the garbage cart such as furniture, large household items, remodeling debris, mattresses, water heaters, carpet, fencing, lumber. Do not bag.
- Yard and Woody Waste: Brush piles, tree limbs and shrub prunings. Do not bag, place loose at the curb.
- Bagged Leaves and Grass: Do not mix with bulky trash or yard and woody waste. Yard waste, leaves and grass left in old garbage cans will not be collected. Do not place in carts.
- What will not be collected: No Household Hazardous Waste is allowed in carts or at the curb. Items will be collected at our bi-annual Household Hazardous Material Collection days, or you can check “what do I do with” for more information.
Although each residential unit is initially provided with a 96-gallon wheeled container, if more capacity is needed, one additional container may be purchased from the City-Parish at a cost of $60. Smaller containers will be provided upon special request from residents who are physically unable to handle the larger 96-gallon containers.
Please allow one to five business days for delivery of these carts. Residents should call 3-1-1 to request a cart exchange or addition, or to report missed garbage, trash, or recycling collections.
Complaints & Service Issues
Residents should call 3-1-1 for all garbage, trash and recycling related complaints and service issues.