NEWSFLASH: HOLIDAY GARBAGE, RECYCLING, AND LANDFILL OPERATIONS
- · There will be no curbside garbage and recycling services on Christmas Day; all services will resume on residents’ next scheduled collection day.
- · The North Landfill will be closed on Christmas Day; landfill hours will be extended until 7 pm on December 28 to accommodate the holiday closure.
- · Due to the large amount of trash expected after the holidays, Friday collection may extend into Saturday.
- · Residents should leave full carts at the curb if not collected by the end of the day on Friday.
- · Garbage and recycling services will remain active on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day, and the North Landfill will also remain open on New Year’s Day.
City-Parish officials are reminding residents to visit brla.gov/recycle for information on what can and cannot be recycled this holiday season. For example, all sizes of clean, folded flattened, cardboard boxes are accepted inside or next to the curbside recycling cart and wrapping paper may be placed inside the recycling cart; however, no tissue paper or foil lined paper will be accepted for recycling.
Additionally, this year’s Christmas tree curbside recycling program will begin January 7 with service scheduled to run through January 19. The Christmas tree curbside recycling program is available for all East Baton Rouge Parish residents, with the exception of residents inside Baker and Zachary city limits as these cities operate under separate recycling collection service agreements.
In order to be collected, trees must be placed curbside a minimum of three feet from other garbage and unbundled trash, with tinsel, stands, lights, and ornaments removed from trees as these items can contaminate the City-Parish’s ability to recycle the tree. Residents should avoid placing trees curbside with any flocking, decorations, stands, or in plastic bags; while these will still be picked up as trash, they will not be recycled. City-Parish officials are advising residents to leave trees curbside throughout this two-week timeframe as trees may be picked up on days that differ from a resident’s normal collection schedule.
Residents will be able to drop off their Christmas tree for recycling at the following locations from December 26, 2018 through January 26, 2019:
- Independence Park, parking lot off Lobdell between tennis courts and Liberty Lagoon
- Highland Road Park, 14024 Highland Road
- Memorial Stadium, grassy lot near the corner of Scenic and Foss
- Flannery Road Park, 801 S. Flannery Road
- LSU, Skip Bertman Drive, lot across from Vet School
All trees that are clean and clear of any contaminating items will be taken to a composting facility where they will be chipped and beneficially reused. For more information, visit brla.gov/recycle.
The Department of Environmental Services oversees the City-Parish solid waste program, which includes all garbage collection activities and management of the North Landfill, located at 16001 Samuels Road in Zachary.
Garbage collection is provided to residents by Republic Services, a private company that serves residents via contract with the City-Parish, while the day-to-day operations of the North Landfill are overseen by another private contractor, Waste Management.
City-Parish solid waste staff are responsible for managing both of these contractors and ensuring services are provided in a timely and satisfactory manner.