The voluntary process requires the Baton Rouge Police Department to conduct a critical self-review of the agency’s policies, procedures, facilities & operations. Baton Rouge Police Department became Accredited in 1996 with the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA). The Baton Rouge Police Department has maintained its Advanced Accreditation status!
Each year, the Baton Rouge Police Department submits paperwork confirming our commitment to the accreditation program, and every 4 years an in-depth re-assessment takes place. This annual reports and audits ensure we continue to meet the highest National standards as promulgated by CALEA.
The Accreditation process are managed by our Accreditation Manager Sgt. Britt Jones.
Law Enforcement Accreditation
The Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc. (CALEA®), was created in 1979 as a credentialing authority through the joint efforts of law enforcement’s major executive associations:
- International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP)
- National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives (NOBLE)
- National Sheriffs' Association (NSA)
- Police Executive Research Forum (PERF)
The CALEA Accreditation programs provide public safety agencies with an opportunity to voluntarily meet an established set of professional standards, which require:
- Comprehensive and uniform written directives that clearly define authority, performance and responsibilities
- Reports and analyses to make fact-based and informed management decisions.
- Preparedness to address natural or man-made critical incidents
- Community relationship-building and maintenance
- Independent review by subject matter experts
- Continuous pursuit of excellence through annual reviews and other assessment measures
The Baton Rouge Police Department is up for its 9th review in 2024.
If you would like to provide comments to the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies about our activity in the Community or adherence to their standards, please visit this link: http://cimrs2.calea.org/324