Obtaining a Permit
A permit can be online at www.MyGovernmentOnline.org. See our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page for detailed instructions on how to apply for a permit via MyGovernmentOnline (MGO). The information below is intended as a guide for residents and contractors. All of the inspections shall be completed and successfully passed before a Certificate of Occupancy is issued.
Typical Situations That Require a Permit
- Any accessory structure over 200 square feet
- Any electrical work
- Any fencing that is 4 feet tall or higher
- Any modification of floor plan or structural aspect
- Changing out an air conditioning unit or components (excluding window units)
- Changing out or relocating a water heater
- Changing windows or doors
- Covered patios
- Gas line work
- Home additions and renovations
- Installing generator or solar panels
- A new residence
- Pools, in-ground and above ground
- Relocation of a house or mobile home
- Roofing and decking that exceeds 100 square feet
- Sewer line work
- Solid fencing that is 3 feet tall or higher
Work Exceeding $7,500
Note: Residential work exceeding $7,500 must be performed by a registered home improvement contractor or licensed residential contractor. The homeowner may apply for the permit and construct their own home. Homeowner contractors must submit a notarized "Affidavit claiming exemption from licensure" (form available in permit office) to obtain permit; form will be forwarded to the Louisiana State Licensing Board for Contractors.
The homeowner must comply with all applicable codes and ordinances (International Residential Code, Unified Development Code, others may apply).
Permits as a License
A Permit shall be construed to be a license to proceed with the work and shall not be construed as authority to violate, cancel, alter or set aside any of the provisions of the City of Baton Rouge, Parish of East Baton Rouge Code of Ordinances, nor shall such issuance of a Permit prevent the Building Official from Thereafter requiring a correction of errors in plans or in construction, or of violations of the Code.