LOCAL HISTORIC landmark
local historic landmarks
- DR. LEO S. BUTLER AND ESTELLE DEVALL BUTLER FAMILY HOME
- IMMACULATE CONCEPTION CHURCH
- Longwood Plantation
- NEW ARK BAPTIST CHURCH
- Old Governor's Mansion
- Pastime Restaurant
- ST. JOSEPH'S ACADEMY
Located at 963 Terrace Avenue, this bungalow home was built between 1927 and 1928, the building served as the home and medical office for Dr. Leo S. Butler, known as the “Dean of Black Physicians.” Due to Jim Crow-era restrictions on hospital privileges for people of color, Dr. Butler’s home-office medical practice was indispensable to the Old South community. Dr. Butler, medically trained as an OB-GYN, delivered thousands of babies in the home-office.
After Dr. Butler's home practice grew beyond his residence, the home continued to play an essential role in the community. The impact of segregation in the Deep South led to the lack of public facilities, including hotels, serving people pf color. Throughout the 40's and the late 50's, the Butler home was used to house and entertain a host of visiting dignitaries including politician, entertainers, civil rights activists, and many others.
IMMACULATE CONCEPTION CHURCH
When it was built in 1953, this Catholic Church was the first of its kind erected in Scotlandville and is located at 1565 Curtis Street. This church was built to meet the needs of Scotlandville’s Catholics, most of whom being African-American, who had been commuting to Baton Rouge and Cook’s Theatre in Scotlandville for mass. Their desire to have a local place for worship became evident during construction when virtually all of the materials and labor were donated or paid for with donated funds from the community.
Since then, the Immaculate Conception Church has become an important cultural and spiritual center for African American Scotlandville Catholics. Former assistant pastor Rev. Rawlin B. Enette was outspoken during the Civil Rights Movement and marched with Martin Luther King Junior in both Washington D.C. and Montgomery, Alabama.
Longwood Plantation was added to Louisiana’s National Register of Historic Places on July 17, 1983. A former sugar cane plantation it used to occupy all the land from the Mississippi River to Highland Road.
Longwood Plantation is believed to have been built in1785. The house is a two storied Greek revival with four Doric columns supporting the two front porches. There are four chimneys that feed into seven rooms. They are on two floors at either end of the house. It was built in a non-traditional Center Hall pattern.
NEW ARK BAPTIST CHURCH
Located at 1344 Terrace Avenue, this originally wooden structure is over 100 years old as it was constructed in 1909 by a small, yet faithful group of believers under the leadership of Rev. J.S. Butler. Over the course of its 112 year history, this church has been a foundation in the South Baton Rouge Community.
Due to a 1943 renovation, New Ark is a rare example of a gothic-style Baptist Church. However, to this day the church retains its original bell tower. The property of the church has also been expanded a number of times under the leadership of seven pastors, which has strengthened its position of importance in South Baton Rouge.
OLD GOVERNOR’S MANSION
The Louisiana Old Governor’s Mansion was built in 1929-1930 under the governorship of Huey P. Long, its first resident. It is said that Long wanted to be familiar with the White House in Washington when he became president, so he wanted a duplicate of the White House in Baton Rouge. Such extravagance was not cheap, and the Old Governor’s Mansion cost $170,000 to construct, a princely sum during the height of the Great Depression.
In 1963, the present governor’s mansion was constructed, making Jimmie Davis the last of 9 governors to live in the Old Governor’s Mansion. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975 when the 50 year age limit for its incorporation into the register was waived- a nod to its significance.
Located at 252 South Boulevard, this property was the former Alesi’s Grocery originally opened in 1920. The owner turned the grocery into a lounge with a dance floor and small snack bar and named it Pastime Lounge. Today a variety of menu items include nineteen pizza combinations, twenty Po-boys, five burgers, lunch plates, and numerous flavorful menu items. Pastime attracts visitors from around the world including celebrities, locals, sports players, and political figures.
St. Joseph’s Academy, an all-girls secondary school located at 3015 Broussard Street, is owned and operated by the Sisters of Saint Joseph of Medaille and staffed by the Sisters of Saint Joseph and dedicated laypersons.
St Joseph’s represents a form of neo-classical architecture once popular in 18th century France, after the Baroque went out of fashion. These are elegant, subtle, quietly styled buildings. SJA’s noteworthy features include its symmetrical, low-pedimented form, its use of copious quoins, its wrought iron (looking) brackets and balconies, its French doors and its modest bas relief sculpture. Medaille Hall also features characteristic low arched openings.