Citizen Data Academy
City-Parish technology and innovation subject-matter experts host a virtual academy featuring a three-part training series designed for Baton Rouge residents.
This Citizen Data Academy will help participants understand and unlock the full power of City-Parish data — how to find it, what it includes, and how to use it to understand trends and improve quality of life in our community.
It is free to attend and open to all East Baton Rouge Parish residents. Registration is required, and all sessions will be held virtually.
Beginner: Introduction to Open Data
- 5:30-7 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 13, 2020
- Includes an overview of the Open Data BR and EBRGIS programs, the data available through each, and how to register and begin using the various tools within both platforms.
Intermediate: Exploring Open Data
- 5:30-7 p.m. Monday, Nov. 9, 2020
- Includes training and step-by-step instructions on how to download and add value to open data, create charts and maps, and use various tools to analyze City-Parish data.
Advanced: Problem Solving Using Open Data
- 5:30-7 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 15, 2020
- Includes an overview of more advanced data analysis approaches, such as joining different datasets, conducting spatial analysis, and using the APIs available through our various platforms.
Residents are welcome to attend one or all courses, which are progressive in difficulty and complexity throughout the series. For more information, please send an email to email@example.com.
- Why are there duplicate records in the Property Lookup by business name search results?
- At one point the tabular data in Open Data BR was not separated into pages. Now it is separated into pages of 100 rows each. Why was that done and is there a way to reverse it?
- The Baton Rouge Crime Incidents dataset displays more homicides than sexual assaults. That does not seem possible.
- What are the six open data categories?
- Do we access Open Data BR and Open Neighborhood BR via the http://my.brla.gov URL?
- Are STIs, including HIV and hepatitis C included in any of these datasets in any way?