Learn how to stay #RedStickReady and protect your data, devices, and information from ever increasing cyberthreats.
Why is Cybersecurity Important?
Cybersecurity is the act of preventing, detecting, and responding to cyber incidents that can wreak havoc on your accounts, systems, information, data, and devices.
The risk for cyberattacks is at an all-time high. Our entire East Baton Rouge Parish community must remain vigilant in how we protect our information and data. The City-Parish Department of Information Services and Mayor’s Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Preparedness are actively working to protect against cyber threats by investing in cybersecurity infrastructure, implementing best practices, and educating our City-Parish employees and Baton Rouge residents on the steps we can take to be cyber smart in all we do.
- Connect to the internet over secure, password-protected networks
- Avoid sites with invalid security certificates
- Avoid shopping, banking, or other sensitive activities while using a public network
- Use a variation of upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters
- Change your passwords frequently
- Don't use the same password twice @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Be suspicious of phone calls, visits, or emails asking for your personal information
- Don’t disclose personal or financial information via email, respond to messages requesting this data, or click on any links
- Install and maintain antivirus software, firewalls, and email filters @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Check privacy policies for your online accounts to see how your information is shared
- Be careful with the information you put online — hackers can piece together information to hack your accounts
- Take advantage of security features like multi-factor authentication @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Report a Cybersecurity Incident
Are you the victim of a cybercrime? File a report with the FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) as soon as possible.
If you or your organization is the victim of a network intrusion, data breach, or ransomware attack, you can report it to your local FBI Field Office.