2021 Mayor's Water Challenge
As part of Mayor-President Sharon Weston Broome’s continued focus on conserving our community’s natural resources, Baton Rouge is once again participating in the Wyland National Mayor’s Challenge for Water Conservation. Through this competition, cities across the country educate their residents on the importance of water conservation by asking them to take an online pledge throughout the month of April. In 2018, Baton Rouge was named the most “water wise” city in the U.S., and we are ready to win this title again!
If you are a teacher or school administrator in East Baton Rouge Parish, please consider taking the pledge with your students. The school with the greatest amount of participation in this competition will receive special recognition from Mayor Broome and the bragging rights that come with being the most “water wise” school in East Baton Rouge Parish!
Click here to download the informational packet with details about the competition.
Teachers: click here to begin the pledge and follow these instructions:
- Click the “take the pledge” button in the top right corner of the page.
- When prompted to “search for your city,” type in “Baton Rouge” and select the “Baton Rouge, Louisiana” option (even if your school is in Baker, Central, or Zachary).
- Watch the video and read the message from Mayor Broome explaining more about the importance of this pledge and commitment to conserve water in our community.
- As you go through the pledge, explain to students what they are committing to in each section.
- At the end, provide your email address and the number of students who are in your class and taking the pledge. Both fields are required.
- IMPORTANT — make sure you click the box that says “Yes, I would like to enter my school into the prize drawing.” Once you do, you will be asked to enter more information about your school, including your school name, address, phone number, and grade level — this step is critical so that the Department of Environmental Services can track which school is participating. When prompted to enter the name of a charity to win the car, you can enter a charity of your choice, put “N/A”, or simply leave it blank. You DO NOT need to submit student names or paste in a roster.
for more information
For any questions about this competition, please contact Michael Lowe with the Department of Environmental Services at email@example.com or (225) 389-3240.