General 2% Sales and Use Tax Report
Recurring sales and use tax collections for the month of March 2021, as compared to March 2020, reflected a 23.48% increase for the City and Parish combined. Year-to-date collections reflect a 6.45% increase.
In mid-March of 2020, our Parish began to realize the economic downturn due to COVID-19. Therefore, when comparing March 2021 to 2020, there are increases across all industry types with the exception of manufacturing. Manufacturing fluctuates based on the purchases being made by these entities at any given time. When comparing the cumulative collections to date with the prior year collections, the industry type “other” reflects a decrease. The “other” category includes several small industry types with the main decrease being attributed to a decline in the construction and utility types.
Another contributing factor to the increase is that beginning in July 2020, the Louisiana Remote Sellers Commission started collecting and distributing the sales tax from vendors who have not established a physical presence in Louisiana, but have reached a threshold to obtain economic impact, which obligates them to collect both state and local sales tax applicable to all local jurisdictions. Therefore, these collections are not reflected in March 2020 because of the timing of the distribution by the State.
Historical information relative to sales and use tax collections is presented below.
- Breakdown of City-Parish 2% Tax Collections for March 2021 (PDF) (includes Vehicle Tax Collections)
- Breakdown of City-Parish 2% Tax Collections for 2020 (PDF)
- Breakdown of City-Parish 2% Tax Collections for 2019 (PDF)
- Breakdown of City-Parish 2% Tax Collections for 2018 (PDF)
- Breakdown of City-Parish 2% Tax Collections for 2017 (PDF)
- Breakdown of City-Parish 2% Tax Collections for 2016 (PDF)
- Breakdown of City-Parish 2% Tax Collections for 2015 (PDF)
- Breakdown of City-Parish 2% Tax Collections for 2014 (PDF)
- Breakdown of City-Parish 2% Tax Collections for 2013 (PDF)
- Breakdown of City-Parish 2% Tax Collections for 2012 (PDF)
| RECURRING SALES TAX COLLECTIONS|
For the Five Year Period 2017 - 2021
2% General Fund Tax
|January||$ 16,466,351||$ 14,860,712||$ 15,268,349||$ 16,190,187|
Other Sales and Use Tax Reports
- NAIC Code Comparison for March 2021 (PDF)
- 1/2% Sewer Tax Collection Report for March 2021 (PDF)
- 1/2% Street Improvement Tax-Green Light Collection Report for March 2021 (PDF)
- 1/2% Street Improvement Tax-MovEBR Collection Report for March 2021 (PDF)
Note 1 - The above report represents a customized presentation of "recurring" sales and use tax collections for use primarily by the management of City-Parish Government for various purposes including revenue forecasting. Amounts set forth are unaudited. They may not include certain non-recurring transactions such as those related to tax audits, or year-end audit adjustments which could distort comparisons.
Note 2 - Since this is a customized report for special purposes as explained in Note 1 above, the monthly and annual totals in the report will generally be different than totals reflected in accounting records.