Residential Solid Waste User Fee Assistance Program
The City-Parish implemented a Residential Solid Waste User Fee Assistance Program in 2008 for low-income residents. Residents who meet federal eligibility requirements for energy assistance can receive a monthly discount of $4.50 on the solid waste user fee.
The East Baton Rouge Parish Office of Social Services has the availability of funds dedicated to assist eligible low-income households with their energy payments. Applications are taken by appointment only. To schedule an appointment, please call (225) 358-4561 or visit www.brla.gov/501/Office-of-Social-Services to schedule online.
An eligible household is one whose total income is at or below the levels listed in the table below. The following information is needed to apply:
- Utility bills for heating and cooling no older than 30 days.
- All check stubs from the previous 30 days for all household employment (additional requirements for self-employment and no employment will apply)
- Proof of unearned income (Social Security, Unemployment Insurance, Retirement, Pension Funds, Disability, Rental Income, Regular Contributions, etc.).
- Disconnect or pending disconnection notice (if you received a shut-off notice from your energy company) (applicable to Crisis Assistance only).
- Proof of present address (rent receipt, lease or deed, etc.)
- Government-issued photo ID of the applicant and their Social Security card.
- Proof of total members living in your household and their Social Security cards (exceptions may apply).
- Additional information may be required to determine your eligibility for energy assistance.
Households reporting zero income must provide additional documentation. All information provided with the application is subject to verification. Intentional misrepresentation of information may result in the criminal prosecution of the applicant and anyone assisting in the misrepresentation.
Certification of eligibility is good for a 12-month period for the Solid Waste Assistance Program. Residents must reapply each year.
# Household Members
|Annual Household Income Limit||Monthly Household Income Limit|
For more information regarding this program, contact the Service Fee Business Office at 225-389-5378 or the Office of Social Services at (225) 358-4561, or visit their website at www.brla.gov/501/Office-of-Social-Services.