The Special Services Division is responsible for coordinating the activities and record keeping of the Mechanic Shop, the Supply Room, the Building Maintenance Shop, and the Fire Equipment Technician. This division keeps the Fire Department “running” physically. This division also acts as a liaison between the Baton Rouge Fire Department and all East Baton Rouge Parish Volunteer Fire Departments.
Responsibilities for each section of the Special Services Division are listed as follows.
- Maintaining all firefighting apparatus, vehicles and equipment
- Performs maintenance and upkeep of Fire Department vehicles and firefighting apparatus
- Maintains adequate parts supply and records necessary for the proper utilization of this shop
Fire Equipment Technician
- Responsible for the regular visual inspection of all ground ladders used for rescue, firefighting operations, and training
- Performs repairs of fire department nozzles, including turbo-jet nozzle assemblies and straight-stream nozzle assemblies
- Disassembles equipment, repairs or replaces damaged parts and tests equipment to make certain it functions properly
- Responsible for issuing or repairing firefighting hoses and conducting flow tests on and repairing all self-contained breathing apparatus
- Responsible for the upkeep of all tools and equipment necessary to perform assigned maintenance and repair
- Maintains storage of replacement parts
Building Maintenance Shop
Responsible for maintenance and upkeep of:
- Cabinet and locker repair and construction
- Door and window glass replacement
- Floor installation
- Furniture repair
- Overhead door adjustments
- Plumbing, heating and air conditioning repair
- Roof repairs
Responsible for store keeping, proper receipt, storage, distribution, and issuance of the materials and supplies for the Baton Rouge Fire Department.